Debt doesn’t just stop at your bank balance. It can consume your life. But we’re here to give you some good news; debts can be solved. It can take a while and it can be a challenge but there are ways around it.
How do I get out of debt?
Borrowing more money is not the answer to debt. But we do have some tips on how to improve your situation:
- Boost your income - Use this calculator to check if you’re eligible for other benefits. Think about taking on another job or selling unwanted items.
- Create a budget- A budget can show you where to save money or avoid unnecessary spending.
- Start a debt management plan - Find out where to get help below.
Where to seek debt help
When you’re ready to find help, there are loads of free debt counselling services available. These services will give you a route to get back on track. Check them out:
- Money Advice Service - 0800 138 7777
- Stepchange - 0800 138 1111
- Debt Advice Foundation - 0800 043 40 50
- National Debtline - 0808 808 4000
- Payplan - 0800 280 2816
- Christians against poverty - 0800 328 0006
- Debt support trust - 0800 085 0226
- Business Debtline - 0800 197 6026
- Citizens Advice Adviceline - 0300 330 1313
Don’t get caught out
There are loads of companies that promise to clear your debts for a ‘small fee’. Stay away from these companies. You can manage your debt for free using the services above. It’s also important to remember that loan sharks are never the right option.